We are all beginning to give credit to what having a positive mindset can do to your daily life and personal growth. Bestselling author of The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People, Stephen Covey, developed the phrase abundance mentality or abundance mindset as a definition to the concept ‘in which a person believes there are enough resources and successes to share with others’.
Here we will take a closer look at 20 key ways to develop an abundance mentality in 2020.
1. Monitor your thoughts. Become aware of what you are thinking about – and likewise – what you are choosing to omit in your thoughts. Keep your thoughts realistic and positive in your daily actions. Negative and regressive thoughts should be observed, processed and not dwelled upon.
2. Focus on what you have – not what you don’t. The old “grass is greener” analogy springs to mind here. What you think is missing from your life, that another may have, does not make them happier. Appreciate the little things and you will find these build up to a larger, more fulfilling happiness in the long run.
3. Practice your gratitude daily. Being grateful – and appreciative – of yourself and what you have accomplished is a vital step to achieving successful personal growth and development.
4. Reduce your life’s clutter. This applies both to the physical mess (for example your home or workspace) and the mental mess – unfinished tasks, commitments or goals left hanging around and not addressed. Make a business plan and a life plan, and get this mess tidied up.
5. Choose your friends wisely. The company you keep, including your own, is essential to the success of your positive growth mindset. As American Businessman and self-made multi-millionaire Jim Rohn said, “You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with.”
6. Be generous. Nothing makes for a positive mindset than giving to others, so share your wealth – there’s plenty to go around for everyone willing to accept it.
7. Find win-win solutions. This takes a mess-free mind and a positive mindset to develop outcomes that are positive for all parties involved. Invest in business coaching to develop a strong business plan and solid communication skills to achieve personal and professional win-win solutions for your life and mindset.
8. Journal your intentions to create an abundance mentality. Often, writing thoughts down makes everything you seek seem clearer and more defined.
9. Turn a negative outcome into a positive one. Reframing losses and negative experiences often reveal our biggest opportunities. If something negative happens, find that silver lining in your mindset.
10. Notice unlimited possibilities. Don’t walk around with blinkers on, you may miss the opportunities which lay right in front of you.
11. Choose your words carefully, remember what you say – even if you do not mean it – stays in the universe forever.
12. Talk with yourself every day. Ask yourself “What’s gone right for me today?” and use this as a start point to your conversation.
13. Leading on from point 12, write your own abundance affirmations. Focus on what is important to you and your positive mindset.
14. Practice being the observer, remaining neutral when sitting in an argument or debate. You will be surprised about the amount of information you will retain about the situation, people around you, and the topic in question.
15. Appreciate others. Each one of us does our best every day, this may not register if you constantly dwell on the negatives of life.
16. Reflect on your day. Spending time with your mind, reflecting on the daily or weekly issues and outcomes is a great way to process and “de-clutter” your mind. Whether it’s a walk along the beach, writing in your journal, or quiet time in the kitchen – make personal time for your reflection.
17. Give more of what you would like to receive. The universe gives back what you put in, so be sure your contribution is a positive one.
18. Embrace change. A large part of developing that abundance mentality is the ability to process and accept change in your life.
19. Create a list of good mood jumpstarts. Working out how to get out of a funk can be tough, so develop a go-to list of positive things you know you can do to put you back on the right track.
20. Always make time for fun. Life is short, remember to enjoy each and every second of it!